16v conversion not worth it? Scirocco too slow?

Hi.  I'm the one who has been asking tech questions about the 8v-2.0 16v
conversion.  Well, I got into an argument the other day with a friend about
the whole thing.  I really respect his opinion on performance stuff usually,
but this time he pushed it too far.  He tried to tell me that I wouldn't
feel enough of a difference to make the whole thing worth it.  I told him
everything I knew (90hp@5500rpm vs. 134hp@5800rpm; 100ftlbs@3000rpm
vs.133ftlbs@4400 rpm)  but he still wouldn't go along with me.  He said my
quarter mile times would still suck and any good ricer would still smoke me.

I think he just can't deal with the fact that a car with a VW emblem can be
fast, but I can't back that up.  Do any of y'all with close-to-stock 16v
engines have quarter mile times or experience that could back me up?  I
won't stand for anybody calling Scirocco 16v a turd.

Dan
'86 Scirocco 8v wannabe 16v
'77 Beetle