From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dan Williams
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 3:31 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: 16v conversion not worth it? Scirocco too slow?

Hi.  I'm the one who has been asking tech questions about the 8v-2.0 16v

conversion.  Well, I got into an argument the other day with a friend
about
the whole thing.  I really respect his opinion on performance stuff
usually,
but this time he pushed it too far.  He tried to tell me that I wouldn't

feel enough of a difference to make the whole thing worth it.  I told
him
everything I knew (90hp@5500rpm vs. 134hp@5800rpm; 100ftlbs@3000rpm
vs.133ftlbs@4400 rpm)  but he still wouldn't go along with me.  He said
my
quarter mile times would still suck and any good ricer would still smoke
me.

I think he just can't deal with the fact that a car with a VW emblem can
be
fast, but I can't back that up.  Do any of y'all with close-to-stock 16v

engines have quarter mile times or experience that could back me up?  I
won't stand for anybody calling Scirocco 16v a turd.

Dan
'86 Scirocco 8v wannabe 16v
'77 Beetle