Lockup advice?

On 11:58:39 pm 09/11/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> i'm in PA (pittsburgh).  so yes, plenny of salt.  i'll be going to
> the car wash a good deal to keep the rust off the undercarriage - i'm
> really liking the car so far.

Cool! Not far from me! (only five hours)
Glkad to hear you're liking the car. Plan to take it for a drive to
southern Ohio in early June to meet the rest of the species...

> tonight i took the rear caliper off - the little spring loaded
> armature the e-brake cable runs to seems to be stuck - i'm guessing
> this is the part that causes the seize?

That would be the part, yes.

> update - got the armature free - i think perhaps an oil bath would be
> a good idea.

Well, you want to make sure it can't end up where you need friction, but
see if you can free it up. I used some fancy Teflon* super lube stuff I got
from the auto teacher** where I work, and that helped prolong the spells
between seizures, but that caliper does have some issues, so it will sieze
again. Keep an ear to the back, you will hear it if it starts to bind up,
best to open it before you see smoke from the wheelwells. And budget for a
replacement at some point.

Cathy

*disclaimer: I know Teflon is "the devil". But this stuff was great. Can't
get it anymore though.

**the auto teacher had a "new from the showroom" 1987 16V Scirocco for a
while, and when he retired, they hired the guy he sold it to...