Removing Rear Main Seal? [was: Need Fast Help: Stuck Removing Tranny]

First off, THANK YOU to the millions of people who smacked me upside the
head and forced me to consider the fact that I might have forgotten a bolt
when removing the transmission! Yes, it was the little one behind the drive
flange.

If you're following the issue, I figured out what the problem was. One of
the little tabs on the thrust plate (is this the same as a "throw-out
bearing"?) was broken off, and probably causing all sorts of hell with my
clutch. It's really too bad, 'cause the rest of the clutch disc and pressure
plate look like they're in awesome shape. The whole thing is about 2 years
old.

OK. I'm now staring at a rear main seal. Potterman sent me a new one to put
in, but I can't see a good way to get the old one out. Any ideas? I'm afraid
to hack at it and end up causing more problems.

Once it's out, can I just push the new one in? I don't have "VW Special Tool
#blah-blah"...

Neal