Re: Removing Rear Main Seal? [was: Need Fast Help: Stuck RemovingTranny]

Neal,

The rear main seal (the one on the engine) is easy. Just pull off the
pressure plate and the big thin metal plate behind it and then unbolt the
seal carrier (6 bolts?) and use a hammer to tap the old seal out. Then
clean the sealing surface and lubricate then tap in the new seal. Then
re-install the seal carrier on the block. You don't need to drain the
engine oil.

The tranny mainshaft seal is harder but not too bad. I drilled two small
holes about the same diameter as half the seal lip width. Then I screwed
two wood screws in to the holes and used an ordinary carpenter's hammer to
"pull out" the screws as if they were nails. It took a few tries but
pretty soon the seal popped right out with one of the screws.

The pushrod seal is about the same difficulty. Mine was completely shot..
I tried threading a slightly larger tap in to it to yank it out but it
just shredded the seal so I ended up carefully using the tip of a flat
head screwdriver to pop the tap the seal out with a hammer.

HTH,

-Toby

--
'87 16v