Re: Removing Rear Main Seal? [was: Need Fast Help: Stuck Removing Tranny]

> One of
> the little tabs on the thrust plate (is this the same as a "throw-out
> bearing"?)

No, the throw out bearing on our trannies is way back at the ass end of
the tranny, it's the bearing that pushes on the shaft that pushes on
the thrust plate, that pushes on the pressure plate fingers...

> OK. I'm now staring at a rear main seal. Potterman sent me a new one
> to put
> in, but I can't see a good way to get the old one out. Any ideas?

Unbolt the carrier that holds the rear main seal (include the bolts
from the oil pan, we now know how you are about leaving bolts in place
:p) and *carefully* pry the plate from the back of the block.  Then you
can TAP  (not beat) the old seal out, and the new one in, without much
hassle.  It may be a good idea to pack the backside of the seal with
heavy grease before installing it onto the block, as you may recall
that on my car, the spring on the back of the seal somehow came loose
and wreaked havoc causing me three incidents of excess oil pressure
blowing out the filter seal, one tow, ~15 qts. oil, etc. etc. plus a
new oil pump.

Gently clean the OD of the crank sealing diameter with scotch-brite,
and maybe put a *thin* layer of permatex on the backside and bottom of
the seal carrier when reinstalling.

HTH

Ron