Re: dismantling my rocco

At 11:51 AM -0700 9/29/01, Adam Lefevre wrote:
>that good stuff.  I plan on labeling everything that I will put back on the
>car as well as the wiring (A to A, B to B, etc). I'm going to group parts

The Bentley will show you which plugs go where on the fusebox, and if
you read between the circuit lines you'll figure out which harnesses
go where in the body and on the motor.  But to save time, consider
taking pictures of the stripped down interior with the harnesses
still in place.  It's not such a big deal in the rear, but if you can
get pics of how the harnesses are routed along the firewall and under
the dash it'll save you some time.  I wish I had done that...
unfortunately I stripped my car down about 4 months ago and am just
now getting the harness back into the car.  I fear my memory isn't
going to serve me well :)

>together in boxes according to their respective systems (engine, interior,
>etc). Nuts, bolts, screws will be bagged and labeled. It's going to be a

What I did was group interior parts together as per their location.
For example, left door trim pieces, clips, screws, etc went in one
bag; headliner clips, dome light, visor parts, coat hooks went in
another; etc etc etc.  You can get as anal as you want about this,
but unless you're more anal than me you'll get lazy and just start
hucking shit into boxes ;)

>long restoration as I'm going to replace any parts that are no good or even
>questionable. Where's a good place to start? Any tips, tricks or hints from

It's certainly nice to have a parts car, or access to a complete
parts car.  That way you have 2 of everything to choose from without
having to consider dealer prices of potter's phone number.  If one
car has a better center console, you use it;  same for door panels,
carpets, or just about anything that might show wear.

BTW - when you get those carpets out, steam clean them!!!  I bough a
Bissell "Little Green Clean Machine" at Costco for cheap, and I was
shocked at how gross the water coming out of those carpets was.  If
you don't have access to one, I have heard of people pressure washing
the carpets, but that sounds kinda scary to me.

Good luck!  And remember the rule of thumb when undertaking a project
like this - it WILL take 3 times longer than you think, and it WILL
cost twice as much as you've budgeted :)