Re: Questions: To Cam or Not to Cam

> > What about the "G-grind" cam?  How does it measure up with the others
> > listed?
>
> The G-grind is an 8v cam whereas the other recommendations were all for
16v.

D'OH!  My bad--thanks for setting me straight.

> The G-grind is an excellent street cam that delivers a very acceptable
> powerband . I run mine in the War Pig (my 2.0l-powered rallycar). The
power
> comes on about 500rpms later but the gains make it totally worth it.

Thanks for the review!

> Keep in mind, though, that the G-grind is for solid lifter heads only.

Ah.  Okay, time for another newbie question:  Is there a way to tell if the
head has solid lifters without pulling it off?

> > I plan to get a MkII with a JH 8V engine and eventually putting a turbo
on
> > it.  Which cams would work best with forced induction?
>
> Running a cam with long duration on a turbo motor will reduce your power.
The
> valves stay open longer so the boost flows right through the motor. Either
run

That makes sense...

> a stock cam or one with higher lift but short duration. The stock G60 will
> work perfectly as will the hotter Neuspeed cam that is designed
specifically
> for the G60.

Thanks again for the excellent info!

Mike Carlson
'75 Scirocco "Helga" - R.I.P.
'85 Scirocco "Konrad" - Gone but not forgotten
'95 GTI VR6 "Wolfgang" - http://members.home.net/m-carlson/Wolfgang.htm