RE: What would happen if....

Well, I don't know the measurements of solid vs. hydro cams, so it is
possible that there might be clearance problems, BUT I highly doubt it.

Other than that, one major difference between solid and hydro cams is
that the lift on the hydro cam starts much earlier so as to "pre load"
the lifter. This is bad for solid lifters as the valves would not be
seated as long, etc.

Putting a solid cam into a hydro head, you don't get that "pre load" so
performance would be hurt.

That's all I can think of.  Bottom line, it wouldn't be good, but you
also would't ruin anything in your engine.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco