Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

At 12:22 pm -0500 6/2/99, 16V JASON wrote:
>	Yeah, Shawn, but you're forgetting that just because the pedal
>effort is
>lighter, the car won't stop any faster because it's the tires that are
>overwhelmed, not the 10s...

I thought we had already established that the main reason for upgrading to
11" brakes was their ability to stop faster from higher speeds or in
situations where tire traction is better-than-stock.

>	Really? I disagree with you, Shawn.  The weight difference might
>only be,
>what 5lb? But that's a LOT when you're talking unsprung weight.  And

Ever compared an 11" rotor to a 10.1" rotor?  The difference is minimal..
we're talking about maybe 3/4lb. per rotor.  I'm not so sure how much
heavier Corrado calipers are, but I imagine it's maybe 2 or 3lb per side.

>suspension.. and the 10% larger diameter of the discs means that the wheel
>has oodles more rotational inertia-- because it's further out from the hub

Define "oodles", please :)

>center.  I think the difference is significant... probably significant
>enough to outweigh ANY braking benefits from the 11s, *especially* on a
>tight course like an Auto-x.

Who gives a crap about tight autox courses... that might be the *one*
instance where you'd actually notice the disadvantages of 11" rotors.  And
how many Scirocco owners actually autox?  Sure, there's a lot on this list
but I have a feeling this list is a pretty skewed sample of Scirocco owners
worldwide.

>	I completely agree.  Just as long as you know that it's a novelty with
>more costs (both financial and performance) than benefits.

My eyesight isn't so good.... but even so, I'm pretty sure I don't see an
"IMHO" associated with that claim... :)