Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

On Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:18:32 -0800 Kevin <aventari@cts.com> writes:
>And then after all these arguments that, to me, seem to say "On our
light
>Sciroccos, the 11's offer an extraneous amount of braking, only
marginally
>better than properly setup 10"'s (Ferodo's, ATE powerdiscs) for almost
all
>conditions therefore aren't worth the comparitively astronomical
>cost."

Nope. The 11's are monstrously better than the 10's. The 11" brakes are
simply overkill in any A1 car. Ask the Potterman sometime.
Ever drive a car that would lock the inertia reel on the seatbelts
EVERYTIME you touched the brakes? HEH! Ask the Potterman about that Cabby
he once drove...

> There is STILL the argument that the bigger brake means more unsprung
>wieght--adversely affecting the suspention, PLUS more rotational
>intertia--adversely affecting acceleration!

Not really a factor. The weight difference between the 2 systems is
minimal. Definitely not "adversely" either.

>Lets not forget the mandatory 15" wheels.

What size do you run? 15" right. Most people already run 15's if not
bigger. I doubt the average stock Scirocco owner wants to upgrade to the
11" brakes anyways.

>So we come to (As usual): It's all a big compromise, what do you want?

Not really. If you want 11" brakes, get them and have a ball with it!
They're overkill is the mechanical reality of that system. Financially
its more cost effective to upgrade the 10.1" system to better pads,
rotors, fluid and perhaps steel braided lines. That will provide more
than adequate braking for most any driving one could do. From a
mechanical standpoint, its a PITA to install the 11" system. Its much
easier to just upgrade the 10.1's.
That's the bottom line.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and