Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

At 10:21 AM 2/6/99 EST, you wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:18:32 -0800 Kevin <aventari@cts.com> writes:
>>And then after all these arguments that, to me, seem to say "On our
>light
>>Sciroccos, the 11's offer an extraneous amount of braking, only
>marginally
>>better than properly setup 10"'s (Ferodo's, ATE powerdiscs) for almost
>all
>>conditions therefore aren't worth the comparitively astronomical
>>cost."
>

>Nope. The 11's are monstrously better than the 10's. The 11" brakes are
>simply overkill in any A1 car. Ask the Potterman sometime.
>Ever drive a car that would lock the inertia reel on the seatbelts
>EVERYTIME you touched the brakes? HEH! Ask the Potterman about that Cabby
>he once drove...

Well I obviously see it differently than you, seeing as how i've never
driven a Veedub w/ 10" or 11" brakes so I was drawing a conclusion from the
different viewpoints I've seen in the last few days. Can you say the 60-0
stopping distance of 11's would be monsterously better than 10.1's? Maybe a
few feet.  I call that marginally

>> There is STILL the argument that the bigger brake means more unsprung
>>wieght--adversely affecting the suspention, PLUS more rotational
>>intertia--adversely affecting acceleration!
>

>Not really a factor. The weight difference between the 2 systems is
>minimal. Definitely not "adversely" either.

are joking?! How can adding more unsprung mass EVER not adversly affect the
suspention, or more rotational inertia ever NOT hurt acceleration?? (def.
of Adversely: unfavorably)

>>Lets not forget the mandatory 15" wheels.
>

>What size do you run? 15" right. Most people already run 15's if not
>bigger. I doubt the average stock Scirocco owner wants to upgrade to the
>11" brakes anyways.

15's on the street, 13's at the track where I would presumably need the
braking even more.

>>So we come to (As usual): It's all a big compromise, what do you want?
>

>Not really. If you want 11" brakes, get them and have a ball with it!
>They're overkill is the mechanical reality of that system. Financially
>its more cost effective to upgrade the 10.1" system to better pads,
>rotors, fluid and perhaps steel braided lines. That will provide more
>than adequate braking for most any driving one could do. From a
>mechanical standpoint, its a PITA to install the 11" system. Its much
>easier to just upgrade the 10.1's.
>That's the bottom line.

I want 11" brakes. no way in hell I would get them though. Upgraded 10.1's
and rear disks would be more than enough for me. If i had the money of
course, much more urgent things to repair/upgrade.

Kevin Fry -- computer nerd!
'81 S Roc 1.8