Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

On Sat, 06 Feb 1999 21:28:55 -0800 Kevin <aventari@cts.com> writes:

>Well I obviously see it differently than you, seeing as how i've never
>driven a Veedub w/ 10" or 11" brakes so I was drawing a conclusion from
the
>different viewpoints I've seen in the last few days. Can you say the
60-0
>stopping distance of 11's would be monsterously better than 10.1's?
>Maybe a few feet.  I call that marginally

Since you have NO experience with VW brakes, i'll allow the question ONLY
because you do seem to at least offer food for thought to this thread. :)
Stopping distances will be better with the 11" brakes than the 10.1, YES.
Since you cant improve the smaller brakes stopping distance better than
the 11" system while performing the same mods/upgrades, then YES, the 11"
system is monstrously better. 1' is monstrously better when it comes
right down to it.

>How can adding more unsprung mass EVER not adversely
>affect the suspention, or more rotational inertia ever NOT hurt
acceleration??
>(def. of Adversely: unfavorably)

The weight difference (IF ANY) will not in any way effect performance for
a few reasons. The closeness of the center mass of the rotors wont be
noticeable unlike a set of big heavy 15" wheels.

>I want 11" brakes. no way in hell I would get them though. Upgraded
10.1's
>and rear disks would be more than enough for me. If i had the money of
>course, much more urgent things to repair/upgrade.
>Kevin Fryguy -- computer nerd!
>'81 S Roc 1.8

But if you got the 10.1" brakes you wouldn't be able to run the 13"s. Oh,
have you experienced ANY brake fade while on the autox course lately?? I
haven't so I'll stick with the 9.4" vented rotors which, I might add were
much heavier than the solid rotors I had on the car but the effect wasn't
at all noticeable, not even adversely. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and