Re: tranny fix

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:35:32 -0800 (PST) Brett P VanSprewenburg
<brettv@rocketmail.com> writes:

>Have someone else do it.  To prevent self-machining, the ring and pinion
>rivets need to be replaced by a bolt kit, and the pinion shaft retaining
'big-
>head' rivets are replaced with a couple of circlips.

Im understandably leery of the bolt kit. I had it installed by a LA area
tranny god who seemingly overtorqued at least one bolt which, sheered
somehow. Hopefully whoever does the work can do it without problems.

>Both of these items
>can be had from Adirondak or Virtual World.  While you're in there,
replace
>the 1st & 2nd gear syncros as those take more of a beating then any of
>the others...well maybe 3rd too... :)
>
>==Brett

Id just buy ALL NEW syncros, bearings, clips and seals and deliver the
entire thing to the shop. Your gonna have it rebuilt, why not have all
new (wear) parts installed and know it will last you for quite a long
time.
Thats how I would do it if I were persuing this project. Do it right and
do it only once.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and