Re: tranny fix

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:35:47 -0700 adamsdr@us.ibm.com writes:

>I have a close ratio tranny I wanted to do the self-machining failure
fix
>on, has anyone done this and can give me some advice? It may be more
>involved than I can deal with right now...   maybe I should find a
shop....
>does it take a complete tear-down of the tranny?

Find a shop and plan on having the entire thing rebuilt since in order to
get to the clips, you got to completely remove the innards of the tranny
to get the differential out and install the clips. (The diff is the last
thing to come out, and the very first thing to go in.)
You more than likely wont be able to install them yourself since the VW
tranny requires a number of special tools, gear and bearing pullers ect.
if you don't have access to any of this or don't work in a shop then
forget it, let someone deal with the tranny, its not worth the headache
and even tho you mighty pay $500 for the rebuild, you will get it back
and more than likely, you will have a warranty of some kind so if
something was done wrong, its his ass and not yours. :)
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and