Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

At 10:21 AM 2/6/99 , you wrote:

>Nope. The 11's are monstrously better than the 10's. The 11" brakes are
>simply overkill in any A1 car. Ask the Potterman sometime.
>Ever drive a car that would lock the inertia reel on the seatbelts
>EVERYTIME you touched the brakes? HEH! Ask the Potterman about that Cabby
>he once drove...

	Yeah, Shawn, but you're forgetting that just because the pedal effort is
lighter, the car won't stop any faster because it's the tires that are
overwhelmed, not the 10s...

>> There is STILL the argument that the bigger brake means more unsprung
>>wieght--adversely affecting the suspention, PLUS more rotational
>>intertia--adversely affecting acceleration!

>Not really a factor. The weight difference between the 2 systems is
>minimal. Definitely not "adversely" either.

	Really? I disagree with you, Shawn.  The weight difference might only be,
what 5lb? But that's a LOT when you're talking unsprung weight.  And
because it's *reciprocating* unsprung weight, it's even more of a factor.
You have to deal with increased gyroscopic forces acting on the wheels and
suspension.. and the 10% larger diameter of the discs means that the wheel
has oodles more rotational inertia-- because it's further out from the hub
center.  I think the difference is significant... probably significant
enough to outweigh ANY braking benefits from the 11s, *especially* on a
tight course like an Auto-x.

>What size do you run? 15" right. Most people already run 15's if not
>bigger. I doubt the average stock Scirocco owner wants to upgrade to the
>11" brakes anyways.

	True... and generally most people who will want the 11s are already
running 15s... but it does limit what you can do for snow tires...

>Not really. If you want 11" brakes, get them and have a ball with it!

	I completely agree.  Just as long as you know that it's a novelty with
more costs (both financial and performance) than benefits.

>They're overkill is the mechanical reality of that system. Financially
>its more cost effective to upgrade the 10.1" system to better pads,
>rotors, fluid and perhaps steel braided lines. That will provide more
>than adequate braking for most any driving one could do. From a
>mechanical standpoint, its a PITA to install the 11" system. Its much
>easier to just upgrade the 10.1's.
>That's the bottom line.

	Thank you Shawn, I knew you would come through.
	Now, let's discuss this whole sexual tension problem you're having..

	Jason