Re: 200hp goal...pt2.1

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:05:15 -0700 Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:

> Oh yeah, and there's that "Extrude
>Hone" polish business again.  I recall Meze talking about that too...I
>thought that that was a process for the exhaust?  Arrrrgh.  I thought
>that I was starting to get the hang of this stuff...

First, lets talk about what an engine is.
In its basic form, its a big air pump. Since it depends on atmospheric
pressure to force air in, anything you can do to make it "flow" better
will in some small yet significant way, make more power.
Now, if you will recall my theory of the airflow through the engine as
being like a river, each little bump and cast flaw makes some kind of
restriction. If you have ever looked inside of the intake runners, the
surface is rough and not the best for air to flow over. So, what you get
is mediocre flowing characteristics and mediocre power. Do you follow me
so far? Good.

Now, back to the extrude hone process. It works on both the intake and
exhaust systems. If you had enough ,money, you could send them your
intake, head and exhaust manifold and they will perfectly port and polish
all 3 pieces as one unit. ($$$$)

So, instead of having a guy sitting at a bench with a grinder cutting
away at your intake runners, they bolt the runners onto a machine that
forces a thick abrasive putty like material through the manifold.
(runners, head, whatever....) As the material is forced through the
manifold, it removes material AND at the same time, polishes the
manifold. What you get is a beautiful port and polish job. They have the
ability to remove ALOT of material, or just remove a little at a time.
(Which is what I will have done. The main goal for my extrude hone job is
to clean the runners on the intake and exhaust manifolds so it flows as
good as it can.)
In one regard, it takes all the guesswork out of how to shape the runners
in manifold. The putty flows the easiest path and the end result is
great. Its a huge shortcut to doing it yourself or having someone doing a
port & polish job for you. Without a flow bench, they're wasting their
time. (you can end up with a couple runners flowing great, and others
that flow worse than before! Scarry! Makes for a bad running engine, poor
performance ect.) The shape of the entire port has alot to do with how
much more or less HP an engine makes. Its not just something you can do
for the very first time yourself. You can port match without fear, but
when you get into Port and Polishing a head, let the pro's with a flow
bench do it for you. You will benefit in many ways!
that's all I have to say about that....

>And would I want to big up the injection system before everything
>else?  If my existing system is sufficient until 170hp, I'd imagine I'd
>be safe for awhile yet.

Well, as I said in my last post, if you were to use NOS, you could still
retain your stock injection system. Its worth looking into in my opinion.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and