200hp goal pt2

Jason wrote:

> 	Whoa, Scottie!  Let's try that one in English!

> 	If I'm not mistaken, the intake runners are a direct line of fuel into
> the injectors, right?  Does this system completely bypass the existing
> fuel injection system, or what?  Oh yeah, and there's that "Extrude
> Hone" polish business again.  I recall Meze talking about that too...I
> thought that that was a process for the exhaust?  Arrrrgh.  I thought
> that I was starting to get the hang of this stuff...

 The intake runnners are the 4 big metal things that rest on top of the
engine. The intake air goes through them:)

  The Euro intake has 50mm diameter runners, which have a bit larger diameter
than the standard US ones. This translates to more power up top(due to a higher
flow capacity), at the expense of a little power down low( bigger cross
section means lower intake air velocities).
  Note the 50mm euro intake for the scirocco is now much more expensive than
the intake for the GTI and GLI 16V. Its close to $1000, way more than its
worth, IMHO.

  Extrude Honing is a process of forcing a viscous liquid through the air
path. Suspended in this liquid is an abrasive material that eats away at the
metal that is blocking the flow. This results in a porting that should
closely match the flow path of the air, resulting in a porting job that can
be much smoother and more precise than what would be done by hand. Never had
it done, but I've only read good things.

> 	Haltech injection system.  I recall hearing that name being bantied
> about as well.  Isn't that a programmable injection system?  I s'pose
> that one would use the injection system in conjunction with the runners,
> no?

   It is a programmable FI system. But if you're gonna do a Haltech system,
why go with MSD? Use the programmable FI system to trigger the sparks, that
way you can fully map out the ignition as well. Last I saw of MSD, it wasn't
mappable. Electromotive makes very good system as well.

> 	If one were to go with the intake runners, would the fuel enrichment
> module still be needed, or even be compatible?

 Completely.

> 	And would I want to big up the injection system before everything
> else?  If my existing system is sufficient until 170hp, I'd imagine I'd
> be safe for awhile yet.  Thanks for the answers and for giving me 7 new
> questions in 4 small paragraphs :)

  Buying the fuel enrichment module would allow you to compensate at each
level, as the Autotech unit, as well as the adjustable version of the
Techtonics unit, allow you to vary the settings based on your level of
modification. If you're not very familiar with engines, I would recomend
this over a programmable FI system. Plus its much cheaper at $200 vs $2000 for
EFI once you start adding in the cost of additional sensors, fab work, etc.
It'd be even more if you have to get some else to do all the work.
And the additional gains of a fully programmable FI system are not going to
be that impressive, unless you do alot more to your engine than what you've
mentioned so far.

  My opinion, do the 2.0 liter and enrichment device first, as I think these
will give you the biggest bang for the buck. If you have the extra money, do
the headwork(cams, port/polish) and extrude hone your intake, but this'll
really add up $$$ quick.

Brad