Any car audio experts on the list? (ie, installers, designers, competitors)

I never took any pictures but I think I have video of it (I might try to put
a clip or two up) but in my 84 I took the entire plastic tray off the bottom
of the door panels. Cut 3/4 MDF in the general shape of the plastic tray. I
added enough on the front end where the speakers mount to fit a 6x9. Cut the
hole for the 6x8 and covered in carpet. Attached the panel to the door with
screws from the back. The fit was pretty good. I did have to cut the door
panel for the speaker magnet to clear.  I even routed the top edge if the
MDF so when installed it only sat 1/4 in higher than the door panel.

In the hatch I did the same with and MDF sheet cut the size of the original
cover. Covered in carpet. Recess mounted the 6x9s and made a removable grill
covered in grill cloth so looking in from outside the car it looked like one
piece (an no speakers unless you got too close).

Overall it sounded good (to me) but there were 1/2 tweeters mounted behind
the rear view mirror (old trick to add sound imaging) and a 15 in sub in the
hatch. The front 6x9s could have used a bass blocker to stop the really low
frequencies as there was no volume in the door panel to get a tight
response. Luckily the 15 overpowered that so it wasn't too noticeable.

Rob