Any car audio experts on the list? (ie, installers, designers, competitors)

I used to really stay on top of this stuff years ago, but responsibilities
such as marriage
and home ownerships has caused me to not really keep up.  The stereo system
in the
the new '88 needs some help. I am going to stick with the stock size and
location of the
speakers(4x6).  But now for a sub woofer I have some questions.  I listen
to rock- classic
rock, alternative and some metal.  What would be a good size and quantity
for the trunk of
a Scirocco.  And what is the ideal way to face them?  I am thinking that a
sealed box is
best for my type of music and currently thinking that more than one sub
woofer is kind of
over doing it, but I could be wrong.  This is just a system for my
enjoyment, not for show
or competition.  I don't need top of the line stuff, but don't want junk
either.  As for the head
unit, I am looking pretty closely at Pioneers(I've had them in my truck for
9 years and have
had no problems) with 3 sets of pre amp outputs and running an amp(4x40,
maybe Profile
California) to the 4x6(up in the air, but looking at JBL GTO6427) speakers.
And thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

''98 Dakota 4x4-
'88 Scirocco 16V-
'86 Scirocco 8V-Now a 16V!
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic, 4 speed.- In the Rotisserie and under
restoration
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe