stupid question about stainless brake lines

I've heard the same concerns voiced on other forums.
Looking at the braid, I'd think grit small enough to get through to the rubber/Teflon would be so small as to be of little consequence.
Larry
sandiego16v
   There
  was a lot of talk on an MB list I used to frequent about bits of sand
  and dirt getting into the s/s braid and (with normal flexing) cutting
  into the rubber beneath, causing line failure.  Don't know if anyone
  has heard of this, but it seems possible.

  I don't remember ever seeing them available with a protective
  covering, but the right size heat shrink would probably do it.