stupid question about stainless brake lines

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 05:02:00 -0800, "LEF" <rocco16@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>SS line don't increase stopping power; that's a misleading statement that all purveyors of SS lines use.
>
> What they DO is reduce expansion of the rubber line (There is rubber or Teflon tubing inside the SS braid)when you apply pressure, thereby reducing pedal travel and improving feel.  .
>  Rusting is not an issue with stock, reinforced rubber lines.

I do like the improved "feel" of the s/s lines, however I want to
replace the set on my car (somewhere down the "to do" list).  There
was a lot of talk on an MB list I used to frequent about bits of sand
and dirt getting into the s/s braid and (with normal flexing) cutting
into the rubber beneath, causing line failure.  Don't know if anyone
has heard of this, but it seems possible.

I don't remember ever seeing them available with a protective
covering, but the right size heat shrink would probably do it.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9