OT: Advice (that mentions a scirocco)

Once again I find myself seeking the Hive Mind that IS the Scirocco.org list...
Seeking wisdom, however skewed...
Out of a need to be understood, in the only place where I AM somewhat understood.

My brothers and sisters... (and oh yea Mike Smith)

The situation is as follows;

New baby; Jeep needs an engine-not going to mess with it.
R32 is the reliable "TRIP" car but the old lady hates it.

I know, I know... I had a Dalmation that didn't get along with my first wife, I shoulda listened to the dog.

I get little attitudes; "yea I'm driving HIS car..." and it's really bad when her Mom comes over too.  They gang up on me.  It's impractical, it's a gas hog,  why do you need to go that fast blah bla blah.

So I told her to take the damn thing and trade it in, secretly praying to God that she doesn't, but either way be silent about it.  I am tired of hearing about how much you hate my car.  My cars are part of me.  Each of them is special and to say that you don't like my car is saying you don't like me or worse yet you have lost faith in my judgement, that it's no longer "us"... It's deteriorated to me and her.  United we stand... divided and the friggin R32 and the Scirocco's are coming with me.

So she says that she wants to take it to a Saturn dealer.  She got really mad when I laughed at her... but hey lets go with it.  I told her to do some math.  I owe about 25 on it.  So the dealer isn't going to give you 25 for it on a trade it on a $16k car.  Kbb says it's worth 27 on the trade it but I don't believe it for a minute.  I honestly believe especially around here in a military town I will end up upside down on the loan and end up owing at least 20k on a 16k Saturn that I friggin hate.  They are all about bone-jobbing the military around here.  AND it will be a shorter term loan to boot.  I pay 400 a month on the R with an 8 year loan.

If all works out and I get severence I am going to pay the car off and all the other misc. bills too.  No big deal, this is about 2-3 months from now at the most.  So I am a couple months out from owning it free and clear...  She wants to get rid of it.  I don't get this.  Once we own it free and clear she can finance a FRIGGIN KIA if that's what she wants.  Aren't they all Kia's?!?  I don't even have to carry insurance on it.  I can park it and drop the insurance to state minimums.  Not like my deductable is worth a shit as of late anyway.  (DING!)

So I found a 91-92 Jetta.  Beat to death but in running order.  Doesn't smell like mouse pee or bong water on the inside, relatively clean, but has a few "love-scratches" on the outside... More like hate-gouges, but hey... I am not complaining.  We want friggin practical here, as per the boss, not pretty, not stylish, and certainly not quick.  Dude wanted $500 and since I was the one that sold him the car to begin with... (SHOCK AND AWE here and at the DMV) he offered it to me for $250.  Cha-Ching!!!  $250 for a running four door, automatic grocery getting looking stock ass jetta.  My apologies to those with Jetta's but a bone stock Jetta III with alot of dents and a hanging bumper isn't exactly sexy.  It's automatic to boot--OH THAT'S the latest complaint... VW's clutches are too hard to push.  WTF?  I had knee surgery and that didn't keep me from my beloved sciroccos.  So there shouldn't be any complaints there.

She turned her nose up at it.  I know what this is about.  One of her friends got a VUE and now she wants one.  I could just scream but that's ok I won't right now.

Jetta was hit while parked and the tire sits at an odd angle.  Checked the rim and it's relatively straight, if not I have a couple misc beat up teardrops.  The rear axle is bent.  Not sure how that happened because the body damage is minor.  History on the car is I bought it with the intention of getting the 2 liter out of it someday... more like a functional parts car.  Didn't even get a chance to put the title in my name before this dude tells me that he needs a car desperately.  I sold him the car for what I paid (actually took a loss xfering the title twice)  My "buddy" didn't bother to transfer the title until almost 8 months later... Long Long irrelevent story.  So during this time it was sitting in Norfolk in a bad neighborhood it was somewhat ravaged.  I have an axle for it I just need to put it on... (it's not really roadworthy now as it sits).  I think this engine is a 2.0 8v crossflow... don't know much about it or if would even be worth/feasable to try to put it in a scirocco.

So here's where the advice comes in... all the rest is back story.  ;)  Stay with me here.  $250 for a car?  One that I sold last January for $1800?  And it has some decent rims on it, decent rubber, do you think it is worth it.  I have already decided... I am keeping the car.  Maybe not the wife but the R32 stays.  I think it would be a decent interim car until we pay the others off.

What do you think?

Chris