Air compressor line question

While I'm thinking in construction mode, I am planning on putting a trench
from the house out to "my" garage so I can have electricity from something
other than an extension cord finally. (and a phone line). Anyway, the kid
has a compressor in "his" garage, it's a decent size, and not that easy to
move, consequently I never use air tools. So we'd discussed running an air
line in the trench. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Do
you lose pressure, and what sort of line is used? (I'd imagine a hard line
is best, but I'm not sure what you'd need)

Thanks again,
Cathy