Air compressor line question

Metal piping is best, but I don't think having the pipe below the ground is a good idea. The cold pipe will pull moisture from the compressed air (which is good), but you need a way to drain the water when it collects in the pipe. There is a good diagram at tptools.com.

In your case you are probably better off just getting a reel and a long 5/16" air hose. You will need a water separator after the hose to get rid of any moisture in the line. There is a pressure drop as you get farther away, so you will have to raise the pressure at the regulator to compensate. I can use my air tools over 50 ft. with no problem.

HTH

C Boyko <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
While I'm thinking in construction mode, I am planning on putting a trench
from the house out to "my" garage so I can have electricity from something
other than an extension cord finally. (and a phone line). Anyway, the kid
has a compressor in "his" garage, it's a decent size, and not that easy to
move, consequently I never use air tools. So we'd discussed running an air
line in the trench. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Do
you lose pressure, and what sort of line is used? (I'd imagine a hard line
is best, but I'm not sure what you'd need)

Thanks again,
Cathy