[OT] My Other DD VW Car - not really ot

Spewey wrote:
> David Utley wrote:
>
>> I am not sure I understand what you are saying here, Spewey...  If I
>> did understand it, let me say that I have driven a 3A powered Vanagon
>> Westy at 95 plus, and we had more power available.  It was a test
>> drive after finishing install, so it was not quite 'tidy' and ready
>> for speed trials.  The biggest expense here is getting the proper
>> bracketry and whatnot for the install, but it can be done...
>

> I don't run speed trials, I pull stumps.

I understand. I am a fan of 'grunt'.

I'm not so crazy of "Max HP at Redline Capitan!".

The key virtue of the boxer engine design is it's low end pull,
something you need a lot of displacement to equal in an Inline Four motor.

Ooh, ooh. Brain flash: looking at the back of the bus, envision an eight
cylinder motor; shaped like a capital X laying on it's side. Each leg of
the X is a pair of cylinders- two cylinders on the top right, two more
below, and four on the left side too. Maybe a 15 degree separation
between the upper and lower banks (That'll need modeling to find the
right degree.)

Before any of this ('normal' motor swaps) is resolved (to _my_
satisfaction) I'll be inspecting some done units in person to find out
how it does in real life.

Project criteria includes crossing two lanes on oncoming traffic to get
to the other two lanes going the other way, and merge with the latter.

f course the ability to navigate our famous foggy coast and make it home
  without denting the sides and roof are also key.

One thing the Vanagon has over the smaller Fox & Roc is the people mover
aspect. Picnicking & camping are fun things to do, esp if you bring like
minded folks along.

TBerk