OT - Cry for Help (At the Mercy of Viruses/Spyware)

What am I doing wrong here folks? I've already wasted too much time trying to combat this sh*t with my hack knowledge.

I have AVG virus removal software with a recent update, but it detected "Protorider-B" (MsUpdate.ex*) and some other worm (ID'd as "svchost.ex*). I tried to run the healing and the quarantine but my system now has all of its shortcuts disabled  (is this related to the Common Extension Hijacker Spyware??). How I got Outlook Express opened was a miracle...This same thing happened after I ran Spybot S&D, but I was able to restore from previous checkpoints. Whatever it did, this protorider is now preventing me from restoring from previous check-points.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance -

Jeff