OT - Cry for Help (At the Mercy of Viruses/Spyware)

Hey Jeff,

I see 3 options here. When windows is infected I never trust a AV program
that needs windows. Too many of them comprimise the local AV into thinking
they are not there.

1.)
If you have a friend that has a clean machine w/ AV, I would ask them for
a rescue disk set and then use them to boot the PC into DOS or a command
line interface and run the AV from there.

It will probably take a LONG time so I'd do it just before you go to bed
and let it run over night.
The only reason it may not work (and I just recently ran into this running
a AV scan on my sister's PC) is if you have Window 2000 or XP and have
formated your drives w/ NTFS. Dos has no way to read this unless you want
to invest in a expensive NTFS/DOS software.
2.)
The 2nd way is more expensive, but is the way you can save all of your
data if you are your own computer support.

Get a new hard dirve, exchange it w/ your present hard drive, either
install windows onto that hard drive or use the manufacturers recovery
disk to image the drive. After windows is installed, install AV of your
choice and update both windows and the AV ntil they says there are no more
updates to apply.

THEN install your original drive as a slave in the system and scan your
old drive w/ the new OS and AV install.
3.)
OR you can ask a buddy w/ some computer accumen if they will hook up your
drive to their clean system and scan it for you.

I actually trust 1 & 2 the most, but 3 can be good if your have a PC hip
friend.

Marc's suggestion of online AV scan may be the a way to go too, but I have
never used it and, as I said before, I don't trust any AV that is using
any part known comprimised operating system.

Mia duo lire,

Tim

My father was a God-fearing man, but he never missed a copy of the
New York Times, either.
		-- E.B. White