OT - Cry for Help (At the Mercy of Viruses/Spyware)

Had something similar recently, what it came down to is restoring the PC.
Start from scratch, with the PC manufacturers image disk.

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Toomasson
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 12:13 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: OT - Cry for Help (At the Mercy of Viruses/Spyware)

What am I doing wrong here folks? I've already wasted too much time trying
to combat this sh*t with my hack knowledge.

I have AVG virus removal software with a recent update, but it detected
"Protorider-B" (MsUpdate.ex*) and some other worm (ID'd as "svchost.ex*). I
tried to run the healing and the quarantine but my system now has all of its
shortcuts disabled  (is this related to the Common Extension Hijacker
Spyware??). How I got Outlook Express opened was a miracle...This same thing
happened after I ran Spybot S&D, but I was able to restore from previous
checkpoints. Whatever it did, this protorider is now preventing me from
restoring from previous check-points.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance -

Jeff

---