[audio] subs & boxes

Looks like I irritated a few people by firing off this opinionated
message. My sincere apologies.. here are my comments to Marc's message:

> I install FOUR 6*9 on my deck lid. And I am happy with the result.
>
> This is just a piece of cardboard with some carpet on it.
> As far as I am concerned, anybody can do as they please on their own car.

I agree; I was just throwing out my opinion. Glad to see that people are
asserting their right to act on my "flame away" comment as well.

> See my comments below.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Marc
> '83 Scirocco
> '97 A4 Quattro
>
> > Don't make 'yet another' hatch lid with speakers in it. Many a nice
> > decklid has been ruined by some moron with a saw installing 6x9s. Even if
> > you're planning on building a new lid first, consider the problems with
> > such a setup:
>
> Pretty strong opinion. Do you own the thruth?

Well, the 'truth' part of it is the great number of people who have cut
holes for speakers in their decklids. The 'moron with a saw' bit was my
creation, and if you'd seen some of the terrible installs I have, I think
you'd agree. Perhaps not.

> > - your speakers will be very visible to the world, particularly thieves.
>
> Mine is always garaged.

You never drive (and park) your car anywhere but back home? If not then
you are definitely exempt; no one will steal your stereo while you're
driving. Otherwise I've had friends who have gone to a movie, parked their
(normally garaged) car outside the theater and come back to a smashed
window and missing stereo. Maybe there is less crime in your area..

> > - the extra thick lid will weight a lot more and the rubber straps that
> >   hold the lid will break so you will have to replace them with chains or
> >   cables that rattle and make noise.
>
> I have FOUR 6*9 on my deck lid, and none of the straps ever broke.

That's good news; I'm just spewing my past observations.

> > - if you take the lid out to transfer large cargo or whatever then you
> >   will have no speakers there until you put it back in.
>
> Yes, but no big deal for me.

Alright- well I am often using my trunk for cargo purposes so that's why I
brought it up.

> > - if you just drop them in the lid without a box they will sound like
> >   crap, but if you build a box on the underside of the lid it will add
> >   weight to the lid and make your trunk smaller
>
> They sound good to me.

Sorry; I should have been more clear. I was referring to subs (most
of which are designed for use in enclosures), not 6x9s.

> > - the car looks extraordinarily goofy and non-stock with the two side
> >   speakers, plus two speakers in the rear lid.
>
> This is your opinion. Who cares...

Not you, apparently. That's fine by me.

> > - if your trunk is open when its raining then the speaker cones will get
> >   wet and the grilles may rust.
>
> Are you serious?

Hey, I've seen it.

> > Installing speakers in the decklid is a choice along the same lines as
> > lowering a car by cutting springs, using armor-all on the dash, or
> > installing nitrous instead of 'legitimately' building a quicker engine. It
> > is a bad idea, made in bad taste looking only at the short term and will
> > in quickly lead to problems or damage that reduces the value of the car.
>
> Calm down will you? See first comment.

I'm totally calm; once again I apologize that this message was received
as so inflammatory. I was just trying to "save a scirocco" from what I
believe to be mistreatment. I guess this is a touchy subject like telling
people how to raise their kids or something.

-Toby