[audio] subs & boxes

I install FOUR 6*9 on my deck lid. And I am happy with the result.

This is just a piece of cardboard with some carpet on it.
As far as I am concerned, anybody can do as they please on their own car.

See my comments below.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'97 A4 Quattro

Pretty strong opinion. Do you own the thruth?

> - your speakers will be very visible to the world, particularly thieves.

Mine is always garaged.

> - the extra thick lid will weight a lot more and the rubber straps that
>   hold the lid will break so you will have to replace them with chains or
>   cables that rattle and make noise.

I have FOUR 6*9 on my deck lid, and none of the straps ever broke.

> - you will have to run wiring to the lid, which means you can't take it
>   out. Or, you can only take it out if you seperate disconnects. This is a
>   pain no matter what.. and makes it much harder to remove the lid to put
>   large cargo in the trunk.

I installed a quick disconnect plug using brand new 14 AWG. I can remove the
lid as easily as anybody can.

> - if you take the lid out to transfer large cargo or whatever then you
>   will have no speakers there until you put it back in.

Yes, but no big deal for me.

> - if you just drop them in the lid without a box they will sound like
>   crap, but if you build a box on the underside of the lid it will add
>   weight to the lid and make your trunk smaller

They sound good to me.

> - the car looks extraordinarily goofy and non-stock with the two side
>   speakers, plus two speakers in the rear lid.

This is your opinion. Who cares...

> - if your trunk is open when its raining then the speaker cones will get
>   wet and the grilles may rust.

Are you serious?

> - etc etc etc
>
> Installing speakers in the decklid is a choice along the same lines as
> lowering a car by cutting springs, using armor-all on the dash, or
> installing nitrous instead of 'legitimately' building a quicker engine. It
> is a bad idea, made in bad taste looking only at the short term and will
> in quickly lead to problems or damage that reduces the value of the car.

Calm down will you? See first comment.