Starting problems, thanksgiving drive and gun poll

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Kervin Ridgley
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 9:40 AM
To: list
Subject: Starting problems, thanksgiving drive and gun poll

I'm having a starting problem.  When I turn the key, nothing happens for
a few seconds, and then the starter runs.  The pause only happens when
the engine is cold.Any thoughts?

I drove up to Mt Arie, Md yesterday.  Man, I have never seen so many
cops with radar!  I went close to the seed limit for 2 hour, that was a
first, but I only got 31 mpg.  Maybe I'll do a 5th gear change in the
summer time.  I did see some really bad driving.  I was on 270 and
decided to get in the fast lane for a little bit.  80 is much more fun
than 60.  After about 2 minutes a car in the slow lane (that's 5 lanes
over) did a lane change all the way over in front of me!  I couldn't
believe it.  I had to get really hard on the brakes to keep for hit
fool.  On top of that, they continued to drive 55 in the right lane.  I
just got off the next exit and drove the rest of the way on little
roads.

I just saw Bowling for Columbine and started a gun poll on the vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=vote&id=94993

Take a look at the connector on the solenoid wire from the ignition
switch.

Follow the solenoid wire from the solenoid back, near the firewall
you'll find a plastic insulated spade terminal. Disconnect it and take a
look, the contacts will probably have the familiar greenish white
corrosion.

Cut the wire, and splice in the solenoid wire, less the corroded
connector, or run a fresh length of 8 or 10 gauge wire to the solenoid
terminal.

This is how I fixed the starting problems on the '81 Scirocco GG and the
'84 1/2 Scirocco.

Peter
302.832.8989
http://thescirocco.com