Starting problems, thanksgiving drive and gun poll

I'm having a starting problem.  When I turn the key, nothing happens for a few seconds, and then the starter runs.  The pause only happens when the engine is cold.Any thoughts?

I drove up to Mt Arie, Md yesterday.  Man, I have never seen so many cops with radar!  I went close to the seed limit for 2 hour, that was a first, but I only got 31 mpg.  Maybe I'll do a 5th gear change in the summer time.  I did see some really bad driving.  I was on 270 and decided to get in the fast lane for a little bit.  80 is much more fun than 60.  After about 2 minutes a car in the slow lane (that's 5 lanes over) did a lane change all the way over in front of me!  I couldn't believe it.  I had to get really hard on the brakes to keep for hit fool.  On top of that, they continued to drive 55 in the right lane.  I just got off the next exit and drove the rest of the way on little roads.

I just saw Bowling for Columbine and started a gun poll on the vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=vote&id=94993