Subaru?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike VanAmburgh" <E30@iLand.net>
To: "Scirocco" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: Subaru?

> Erik La Celle wrote:
>
> > OK, so if you show up at your Subie dealer and they just gave you
> > directions to the closest SCCA auto-x without the membership, that's
OK?

> I don't think you're understanding the whole point to this.  You buy a
> WRX, Subaru gives you membership to the SCCA for one year.  As an
> enthusiast, wouldn't that give you the feeling that Subaru realizes
your
> desires as an enthusiast and they want you to have fun with their
> products?

No, I wouldn't feel that at all.  Assuming I bought the car, I bought it
strictly on its merits.  Hand holding warm-fuzzy feelings from a mega
corporation doesn't go a long way with me.  Why?  I'm cynical like that.
They want my money, that's all.  Don't disguise it as...well...to borrow
from Judge Judy, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

> > > VW never had any kind of weight distribution, did they?
> >
> > Nope.
>
> So, why are we bringing that up now?

>I'll restate my point again.  Cars with wacky weight distribution do
not
>make enthusiast cars.

And my point is Scirocco came from VW and therefore would fall into the
category of "wacky weight distribution."  However, as evidenced by the
list, IT IS an enthusiast car.  If this is true, then other cars could
ALSO be enthusiast cars without perfect weight distribution.  That's
what I meant there

>If you are happy with your Passat's handling, great.  I was very
unhappy
>with the handling on my Jetta VR6.  The GTI VR6 was much better with
the
>aftermarket suspension bits, but the imbalance was still a pain in the
>ass.

I suspect the handling difference may have been the narrower track on
the Jetta vs the Passat.  Dunno...