exhaust manifold

Just a quick question here.  I only have a Haynes
manual, so it can be hard to figure out what I,m
getting myself into before I start a procedure.  I
bought a Rabbit 4 into 2 Exhaust manifold with a 2 to
1 downpipe from a local VW enthuiast who's building a
2 litre 16V rabbit.  Anyhow, I'm wondering how hard
it is to remove the exhaust manifold from my '83.  Is
there enough room back there to get at the bolts and
nuts to remove it from the head?  The Haynes manual is
so vague; it only explains removing both the intake
and the exhaust manifold together.  It implies that
they both have to come off.  Is this so?

Chris J, Burnaby , BC
'83 Scirocco GT
'81 Kawasaki KZ550