exhaust manifold

Chris Jung wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm wondering how hard
> it is to remove the exhaust manifold from my '83.  Is
> there enough room back there to get at the bolts and
> nuts to remove it from the head? <snip> It implies that
> they both have to come off.  Is this so?
>
> Chris J, Burnaby , BC
> '83 Scirocco GT
> '81 Kawasaki KZ550

Expect to take the Intake manifold off but you don't have to. It makes
it easier to get at the Exhaust bolts, er Nuts.

Plan on soaking with some kind of penetrating oil like PB Blaster or
Liquid Wrench. WD-40 is not the same thing. I found some of the
fasteners were easier to remove from below and others from above so be
prepared to do some maneuvering.

ALso get some new copper locking nuts to replace the ones you take off,
they are cheap enough to get them from the local dealer, or order a set
from Potter or Adirondack or somewhere. I'd get a new gasket set to
since it's something you don't want to replace later.

Be careful taking the old studs/nuts off as they are a drag to deal with
if you snap one off. On this tip, don't be surprised if one of the studs
backs out of the head vs the nut coming off.

hth,
TBerk