A little smoke

My 16v transplant is running finally. (aplause)   A couple concerns though.
There is a little smoke coming up from the back of the block.  Could that
just be the anti-seize I put on the manifold bolts?  It is whitish and
smells a bit like burning rubber but not exactly.  It is the first time any
of those parts have gotten hot in about a year.  Also it is drawing from the
gastank that has had only about 2-3 gallons of gas from over a year ago.
Doesn't gas "turn" or go bad"  should I just put in a full dose of techron
and top off with some Premium?  Maybe that is explaining the rough
idle....but it is getting better after about a 5-10 min idle with a couple
of 2K "blips" blips of the throttle.
Just not sure what to expect in this situation.
Any advice or experiance on this is welcome.
Don't make me beg now : )

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"