A little smoke

Ken B wrote:

> My 16v transplant is running finally. (aplause)

Hhhhhhhhhhhhraaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! (goes the crowd in the stands)

>  A couple concerns though.
> There is a little smoke coming up from the back of the block.  Could that
> just be the anti-seize I put on the manifold bolts?  It is whitish and
> smells a bit like burning rubber but not exactly.  It is the first time any
> of those parts have gotten hot in about a year.

Then unless it's really leaking exhaust or coolant let it smoke; it will
burn off all those fingerprints you left behind.

> Also it is drawing from the
> gastank that has had only about 2-3 gallons of gas from over a year ago.
> Doesn't gas "turn" or go bad"  should I just put in a full dose of techron
> and top off with some Premium?

I would get 2-5 gallons of premium in there to dilute the existing gas,
THEN think about cleaners and such later.

> Maybe that is explaining the rough
> idle....but it is getting better after about a 5-10 min idle with a couple
> of 2K "blips" blips of the throttle.
> Just not sure what to expect in this situation.
> Any advice or experiance on this is welcome.
> Don't make me beg now : )
>
> Ken
> 1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
> 16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
> Electrical  : (
> VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"

I'm right behind you. As I write this I am in blue surgical gloves; I
came in to get a drill bit for my thermostat.

Car awaits flywheel bolting on, axles, intake and exhaust bolting on and
final this and that.

Man I am anxious.

What you may want to do is drive it around the block a time or two and
then do an Idiot Check; re-tighten bolts, check engine alignment, verify
axle nuts are still tight, etc.

Enjoy!,
TBerk