On the topic of superchargers

Al said:
> My engine sits at Momentum's shop in Canada- and I have all the
> components in place to turbo or Supercharge at this point. As it sits i
> can expect 175+ HP from my lil 2L.   What I'd like to do is find and
> install one of those clutched on/off superchargers so that the car is
> manageable under normal aspiration and yet- I can achieve boost when
> needed at the flip of a switch.
> Last year I saw one of these devices on Ebay for 500. It was for an MR2
> (?). Does anyone on the list know of any Clutched Chargers still being
> manufactured, that will work for my purpose?

Save yourself! it's not too late for you my friend.

Larry said:
>   That's (one of) the beauty(s) of supercharging: a supercharged engine IS
> managable!  Far more so than a turbo! (C'mon, Noah, let's go to round
> three....DING!)  You don't need to clutch it!

Seriously, just stop. No need to embarass yourself further. I suggest you
take a ride in a modern turbocharged car, or better yet drive one. You have
ideas in your head that seem to indicate no firsthand experience. A start
could come at the VW dealer where they might let you drive a 1.8t golf. You
can marvel at how naturally aspirated it feels. You can even note the hella
mad boost available at 1800-2500rpm. Maybe then you will see that using a
supercharger instead of a turbo is simply CRAZY.... Oh wait, you already
refuted this point by showing me how Dorf and Yvehc use superchargers in all
their HOT new performance cars.... LOL puh leeze

Neal said:
> But in general I agree: why bypass it???

Because it breaks every 60k, usually violently, and sometimes even sending
trash down the intake. Something about trying to spin 14k rpms just doesn't
agree with that steam engine.

-Noah
-86 Audi 5ktq
-84 Audi Quattro