Re: Engine too cool, was: 82 jetta radiator in a 84 scirocco

Randy B wrote:

> Tosha,
> Seems that if the H2O thermostat opened up like you say, there would be
> problems with the head cracking (cold water in the hot glass from the
> dishwasher syndrome). I would imagine it would be somewhat progressive.
> Time for a science experiment :).....I have an old thermostat lying around
> somewhere, I'll put it in a pan of water, heat it up to boiling and see what
> it does. I'll let ya know........
>
> Randy
> One Scirocco running hot, the other cold.......go figure!

Engine on the road. Making hot water. Thermo get hot, opens up. Hot
water flows to the rad, gets cooled off, enters top of motor and cools
it off. Gets hot again and flows to the thermo.

In this case the thermo is not all the way open but it's responding to
heat. It's functional. (Got that?) It's flowing water. The rad is very
effective and it's doing it's job. The motor won't get up to normal
operating temp and is running around town as if you just turned it on.
Emissions are bad, oil is not too thick but it aint thin either. This is
not the end all, be all of cold running motors.

Now, why am I 'splainin this? Is it impossible to run too cold? Don't
nobody believe me? fuck it. It's impossible.

TBerk