Engine too cool, was: 82 jetta radiator in a 84 scirocco

Ok so what I am getting from this is.....
If my car is running too cool there is a problem somewhere.......right Dan?
:)

Points of interest
I have tested the oil cooler sandwich plate's thermostat by starting the
engine cold and holding the cooler lines until they got hot.
The car idled for about five minutes (fan kicking on a couple times) and the
lines were cold....... then bam! they were hot.
The thermostat appears to be opening, maybe it isn't closing while the
engine is running, waiting until the engine cools completely and then
closing...hmmm....

I recently got a European GTI oil filter/cooler setup from Dirk (The Man!)
and got a new Porsche 911 Theromostat from Autotech.
I am going to instal the setup with the next oil change, retaining my Mocal
oil-cooler in place of the GTI one.
Assuming my current Mocal sandwich plate thermostat is "not" working
properly this should bring my temps back up....???
I'm thinking there might be more to it than this though.

I think my next big purchase is going to be ALL new senders/sensors in the
engine bay..(Potter??....Dealer??)..Maybe the senders are giving false
readings as well. When I installed the Techtonics motor I cleaned and used
all the senders/sensors off the old engine (Yeah I know,....shoulda got new
ones) :^)

Tosha,
Seems that if the H2O thermostat opened up like you say, there would be
problems with the head cracking (cold water in the hot glass from the
dishwasher syndrome). I would imagine it would be somewhat progressive.
Time for a science experiment :).....I have an old thermostat lying around
somewhere, I'll put it in a pan of water, heat it up to boiling and see what
it does. I'll let ya know........

Randy
One Scirocco running hot, the other cold.......go figure!