Re: Do you, uh, Auto-X?

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:24:22 -0400 "RoccoPhil" <roccophil@mindspring.com>
writes:
>My point *was* that they were crappy drivers overwhelmed by good
vehicles.
>I have no beef with them; it's just funny to see at times.  It's amazing
>watch people going fullbore at the outset and get bitten by their car.
The
>strangest thing is to see them *not* make adjustments.  As if they are
>thinking the car alone should make them proficient.  I guess that is
>what caught my attention.  It is a humbling thing at times.

My bad. My interpertation of your post sounded like you were rather
criticizing the cars.
One of the hardest thing people have to come to accept is the "slow down
to go fast" proccess that one has to do. The brain tells you to go fast
you must use the loud pedal. Thats where years of seat time come in
handy. :)

>Well, I first autocrossed when I was 18.  Had been a course worker since
>about 10 years of age as both my parents ran autox, my father being a
prez &
>sec at times of the club (based in MD and ran at NSA at Fort Meade, MD).
 So
>I ain't new to it.  Haven't had much driving time, but the stuff I saw
raced
>was classier in a certain sense than a majority of what is raced
nowadays.

Hard to say how what you see and what I see at local events compare. We
get lots of new drivers that "know it all" and, like yesterday, still
manage to sping around and back 50 feet into a wall. You would of thought
that once the actual spinning proccess began he would of applied the
brakes. Even a little? Nope. let it ride!! WHAM! One less Toyota Supra to
look at. (At least until it gets back from the repair shop.)

Most of the stuff we get, I guess I dont notice. Lots of Vette's,
Miata's, MR2's with everything else mixed in. Most of the time we have at
least 5 VW's show up. There were only 3 on saturday, all FSP cars.

Cal Club gets alot of the street scene import crowd. All think that the
fastest way to get around a corner is to use the e-brake like on Grand
Tourismo. Its so funny! Video games are liek real life, aint they?? DUH!
Gawd I get a kick out of it. I really love it when they have a turbo on a
CRX and they're in my class (FSP, and they're in the WRONG class BTW but
I dont mind) telling me that they're probably gonna kill me by 5 seconds
because they got 265hp and im only running @130hp. Uh, ok. Wanna put some
money on that? I love that stuff.

>It was fun to be out there and I wouldn't mind giving it a go.  From
what I
>saw in the rulebook, 8v Sciroccos are FSP but I don't really know what I
>would be capable of modding or not.  That is my area of concern at this
>point.

Go for it dude! Yiou will probably get addicted to it. (like most of us
did just that.)

In a nutshell, heres what you can do in FSP.

You can do anything thats legan in the stock class +
Any intake and exhaust mod.
Any suspension as long as it uses stock mounting locations.
any wheel and tire as long as its a DOT tire.(Hoosier, BFG R1, Yokohama
A008RSII's are comming back.)

Theres a list of parts to have/not have, little things here and there
that you can do. it just depends on what you want vs how much you want to
spend in conjunction with what you can do yourself. paying a shop gets
mighty expensive! Its definately a do-it-yourselfer sport.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!