Re: Do you, uh, Auto-X?

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:48:03 -0400 "RoccoPhil" <roccophil@mindspring.com>
writes:
>How many of you are auto-x'ers (that is one ridiculous-looking word,
>isn't it)?

Actually, take out the funny looking "-" and it looks right! :)
Autocrosser's
Autoxer's
Its all the same.

>I'd like to know what class you run in and what you have done with
>your cars.

I run FSP with my 82 Scirocco. For specific mod details, check out my web
page.

http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/meze.htm

I have an 81 Scirocco that I had intended on building as a dedicated FSP
car. its lighter than my 2380lb MK-II. besides the 82 is my street driven
daily driver.

>Went to my first auto-x since I was a teenager and only saw a GTi
>(A2).
>Booooooooo.......  But there was a ton of uninspiring crap there.
>With equally crappy drivers.

Typically its the drivers inability to drive the cars. Ive seen
Lamborghini's, Lotus's, Vipers, Boxters and Corvette's amongst other
exotic cars show up at the autox only to be driven like the old men that
they are. There's a few factors involved with that. 1) old men can afford
these cars. 2) old men don't want to "hurt" these cars. 3) old men cant
drive the cars to their potential. 4) im obviously not driving the cars
or they would be turning fast ass times!

>Such as the 2000 Boxster that couldn't stay on
>course and ran about 10 sec behind the rest of the pack.

don't diss the car. Its not the cars fault the driver is overdriving the
car. Its a FAST car when in the hands of a capable driver. Hell, even a
mildly capable driver can get good times with the car.

>And the Toyota MR2
>Spider that couldn't keep it's ass straight.  Drivers completely
>overwhelmed by their vehicles.

Exactly my point. But then again, this is where these people NEED to be.
Where else can you go to get seat time and learn how to drive the car? So
having said that, what you saw was school in session. Also, don't be so
anxious to criticize. At least they were DRIVING, Mr. Spectator. :)

>Then a CRX that ran on 3 cylinders.  Thought that
>might be a decent racer until he started his motor.

Shit happens. if you get into the sport long enough, you will have
problems someday too. Ive gone thru a motor, tranny and a couple other
things while on the track. That's part of the game.

>Anyhow, I bought the SCCA Solo II rulebook and will be thumbing
>through it.

Good! Read up and then start making mods accordingly. Its been written by
lawyers so its not easily to decipher. Have questions? Ask. Id be glad to
help.

>Best I can tell I'd probably run in FSP with my 85 or 87 rocco (8v).
>Wondering what I can actually do to it.  I don't want to sink a lot of
>money into this as I'd probably only go to a handful of events a year.

I went to Nationals this year co-driving a Spitfire. We had HIGH
expectations with it. Its a fast capable car. my co-driver did well
enough for our first trip. I had heavy issues of my mother having had
just passed away so I dropped down the finishing order. I should of
finished a little better than my co-driver since ive been beating him
consistently all year with his car.

My point is, there was an 87 Scirocco there that did quite well! There
was also a 87 Golf GT that finished 5th! the 87 scirocco finished 12th
and the co-driver finished 25th. I finished 23rd.  Competition was VERY
tight. 1st was a 109.260. second place was a full second behind. He had
everybody covered quite well. From there on back it was pretty tight.

We had Rabbits, Scirocco's, Golf's and a Jetta there in FSP this year so
there probably isn't a "Car to have" for the class although the MK-I
scirocco finished in the top spots this year. Hopefully I will have my
car done in time to go back and redeem myself a little. I did have alot
of fun tho. That inspires me to return next year. Anyhoo.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!