Re: Dyno Day success! (kinda long)

<snip>

>I think everyone (except Ben) was pretty pleased by their performances.

 Well, first of all, this was a great time!  Second, a working o2 sensor
is a very good thing to have...especially when trying to dyno!!  ; )

  the details...

My 1.8 16v (TT exh, Euro intake, K&N air filter, and lightweight flywheel)
did two base runs on the Dynojet (2nd run was best)
 HP: 117.9  Torque: 109.5

Here's the problem... : /

 after the 2nd run Brett and I check the timing and then check the fuel
mixture so that we can do a little "tuning" ... the whole point of the
day!... and we notice that the o2 sensor isn't sending a good reading, so
we can't set the mix.  And this means that both of my runs were done
without a working o2 sensor!  Which means that my mixture was already too
rich...helped me out in top end a bit, but took away some bottom end...
I don't even know what the car could have done now (if the sensor was
good)

The source of the problem is that last month I installed a new o2 sensor
(generic 3-wire) and I spliced it into the old connectors.  I was careful
to make the solder connections correctly and everything...
but I forgot about the hot exhaust gasses being hot enough to melt the
solder!  The heating element on the sensor shorted out so I was basically
running a single wire sensor...at the cat. (which doesn't get quite hot
enough to make the sensor operate all the time).

What have I learned?
  If you are going to install a generic 3-wire o2 sensor, make sure that
you solder the connections with a solder that will not remelt under the
heat of the exhaust!

Does anyone have another solution to this potential problem?

I will just have to wonder now how the results would differ on the dyno...
hmmmmm

=====