Re: Tires

16v Jason wrote:

> Hmmm -- looks like VW outfitted the 'test' cars with upmarket tires for the
> magazines.  Doesn't surprise me in the least, because there's no doubt that
> they also outfitted the cars with more powerful engines --  otherwise, why
> is it that none of us can come close to the published 0-60 times ranging
> from 7.7 seconds to 8.1 seconds?

Some of the VERY earliest 16V's to reach our shores came outfitted with the
50mm intake.  They were quickly recalled due to complaints of a complete lack
of low end.  I *think* the R&T review I have sitting around here someplace
has a picture of their test car WITH a 50mm in place.  Maybe despite the lack
of low end these cars were that much faster in a full-on 0-60 blitzkrieg?
I also have a copy of one of the very first 16V ads, with a close-up of
the motor, and it's tough to be 100% certain because of the angle, but it
sure looks like a 50mm atop that engine too.

Reminds me of an Audi A4 test a couple of years ago - a full-zoot 1.8T with
Quattro and all the goodies, and C&D got something like 7.6 0-60 out of it.
Yeah, right!  About 3200 lbs with "stock" 150hp 1.8t?  Highly unlikely
without a little help from the factory.  I wish these guys would do what
Consumer Reports (gasp!) would do - go and buy cars right off the lot
someplace, rather than get them directly from the manufacturers.

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0