Re: Tires

My 16V came with some Continentials on it -- at 29,000 miles they were 3/4
worn, but after 10 years, dry-rotted pretty badly -- they were quickly
replaced, so I don't remember what they were.

A quick check of the road tests shows:

Car & Driver (8/86) 16V  Michelin MXV (0.79g skidpad)
Road & Track (8/86) 16V Michelin MXV (0.80g skidpad)
Road & Track (1983) 8V Michelin MXL (0.79g skidpad)
Road & Track (12/86) 16V  Michelin MXV (0.80g skidpad)

Hmmm -- looks like VW outfitted the 'test' cars with upmarket tires for the
magazines.  Doesn't surprise me in the least, because there's no doubt that
they also outfitted the cars with more powerful engines --  otherwise, why
is it that none of us can come close to the published 0-60 times ranging
from 7.7 seconds to 8.1 seconds?  The best run I've heard of with a G-Tech
is 8.4s, the worst 9.5...  and we're not all that bad of drivers
(atmospheric condition corrections notwithstanding). :/

Jason

At 07:57 PM 9/30/00 , Jean-Claude Desinor wrote:
>   I don't know about the Mk1 , but My 1984 MK2 came with All Season
>Uniroyals, which I quickly replaced with Continental TS 771s for summer
>and Conti Contacts for winter.
>
>   Now, I drive it less than 5K per year, with the last set of new tires
>I bought for it: Michelin Arctics. They really grip on hot pavement :-)
>
>"Foxx (in a box)" a écrit :
> >
> > > Howdy to the list again. Does anyone know what brand of tires were used
> > > when the Mk1's left the factory? TIA...
> >
> >   and the mk2's as well?
> >
> > --
> >  /\_/\    Foxx (in a box)