Re: Hard Starts SOLVED....Esp Thanks to Jason C.

At 11:41 PM 9/30/00 , Steve H wrote:
>Whelp,
>    Today I finally got around to wiring up a jumper cable to my coil to see
>if the car would start-up or not....Sure enough it did.  So, I went out,
>bought a 5" piece of coated 10ga, and replaced the ground strap that was
>connecting the bracket to the block, and everything works fine...

Woohoo!! Congrats -- and it was my pleasure passing along that tidbit of
wisdom. :)

>    One other problem has arrised (even before my fix...so I know I didn't do
>it) When I start the car in the morning, after 20secs of

Oh, you didn't do it my *ass*... the mere fact that you were
_contimplating_ working on your car is enough to get it to break -- that's
the way Sciroccos work, didn't anyone tell you that?! :)

>warm-up, I will drive it for about 15secs, then the coolant temp light will
>blink.  I turn the car off, and start it again, and no problems for the rest
>of the drive.  Again, this only happens when the motor is allowed to get
>cold.  I have sufficient coolant, etc.  Perhaps the coolant temp sensor is
>shot ?  Have any ideas ??

Hrmph.  That's a strange one.  One would think that the same coolant temp
sensor that gives the guage its reading is the one that (at a certain temp)
also tells the light to blink and stuff.

Quick fix:  Take the sensor off the top of the reservoir tank and clean it
out with a Q-tip and alcohol (or WD-40).  Put it back together and see if
it does the trick.

If not, make sure that your coolant level is indeed high enough *when* the
light is flashing.

If your temp reading is normal (i.e. still cold -- which it should be after
35 seconds of running), it's probably a problem with the level sensor
rather than the temp sensor.

Anyone else have a clue?

GL!
Jason