Re: Tires

At 10:06 PM 10/2/00 , Kevin Collins wrote:
>16v Jason wrote:
>
> > Hmmm -- looks like VW outfitted the 'test' cars with upmarket tires for the
> > magazines.  Doesn't surprise me in the least, because there's no doubt that
> > they also outfitted the cars with more powerful engines --  otherwise, why
> > is it that none of us can come close to the published 0-60 times ranging
> > from 7.7 seconds to 8.1 seconds?
>
>Some of the VERY earliest 16V's to reach our shores came outfitted with the
>50mm intake.  They were quickly recalled due to complaints of a complete lack
>of low end.  I *think* the R&T review I have sitting around here someplace
>has a picture of their test car WITH a 50mm in place.  Maybe despite the lack
>of low end these cars were that much faster in a full-on 0-60 blitzkrieg?
>I also have a copy of one of the very first 16V ads, with a close-up of
>the motor, and it's tough to be 100% certain because of the angle, but it
>sure looks like a 50mm atop that engine too.

I noticed the same thing, but thought I was crazy!
But I had no idea about the 50mm intakes being delivered to early US cars
-- hmmm... you learn something every day!

>Reminds me of an Audi A4 test a couple of years ago - a full-zoot 1.8T with
>Quattro and all the goodies, and C&D got something like 7.6 0-60 out of it.
>Yeah, right!  About 3200 lbs with "stock" 150hp 1.8t?  Highly unlikely
>without a little help from the factory.  I wish these guys would do what
>Consumer Reports (gasp!) would do - go and buy cars right off the lot
>someplace, rather than get them directly from the manufacturers.

You're right -- but remember, you can knock more than a second off of 0-60
by having a great launch -- and you can get *great* launches with
all-wheel-drive cars.

Look at the 16V compared to an 87 325is BMW.  According to R&T, our cars
are 7.7, and the BMW is 7.1.  In reality, the cars are the same exact speed
up till about 80mph, where the torque of the 2.5-liter 6 is dominating the
gearing equation.  But race them side by side without a clutch dump, and
they're exact.  In fact, all you have to do is look at the acceleration
figures after launch -- 30-40mph, 40-50mph, etc... they're very similar,
but because the RWD BMW gets such a good launch, the 0-60 times are very
different.

That's why C&D (thankfully) also publishes their "Street Start) 5-60 tests
-- I ignore the 0-60s and go right for that figure.  Our cars probably
would have had a street start in the upper 8s.

Jason

>--
>Kevin Collins
>'86.5 16V 2.0