Re: Tires (50mm intakes)

>16v Jason wrote:
>
> > Hmmm -- looks like VW outfitted the 'test' cars with upmarket tires for the
> > magazines.  Doesn't surprise me in the least, because there's no doubt that
> > they also outfitted the cars with more powerful engines --  otherwise, why
> > is it that none of us can come close to the published 0-60 times ranging
> > from 7.7 seconds to 8.1 seconds?
>
>Some of the VERY earliest 16V's to reach our shores came outfitted with the
>50mm intake.  They were quickly recalled due to complaints of a complete lack
>of low end.  I *think* the R&T review I have sitting around here someplace
>has a picture of their test car WITH a 50mm in place.  Maybe despite the lack
>of low end these cars were that much faster in a full-on 0-60 blitzkrieg?
>I also have a copy of one of the very first 16V ads, with a close-up of
>the motor, and it's tough to be 100% certain because of the angle, but it
>sure looks like a 50mm atop that engine too.

Here's an unpopular opinion for you...I'm willing to make an educated
guess that a 16v with a 50mm intake is probably _slower_ in a 1/4
mile or 0-60 run then an equivalent 16v with a 40mm.  Top speed is
likely a different story, but I'm thinking that the greater air
velocity of the 40mm has got it where it counts the most...like where
most people actually drive their cars most of the time.  Don't quote
flow numbers at me; as engine output is not a simple equation of
airflow.  An engine operates under a vast array of different RPM points
and load ranges, what's super for high RPM, high speed performance might
totally suck around town. Dyno plots, 1/4 mile or 0-60 times is what I'd
like to have  compared.

It's the same reason that hogging the crap out of the ports
on your head can result is a total DOG of an engine below 5,000 rpms,
but a real screamer from 5k to 7,500k.  The same idea on wild cams, as
the hotter the cam the softer the low end, but the stronger the high
end.  Obviously, the _potential_ air flow is greater with a 50mm intake,
or a super ported out head, or long duration cams...but real world
street performance usual suffers, while race track performance soars.

Anyway see where I'm going with this?  I'm probably going to get
blasted for stating that I'm not a believer in the 50mm intake for
the best street performance. ;)

As for the magazine tests?  From what I understand they used to completely
_punish_ those cars trying to eek out the best possible performance...
high rpm clutch drops, and taking 2nd to 60 mph to avoid the last gear
change for example. Few of us would do that now I suppose.

>--
>Kevin Collins
>'86.5 16V 2.0
>'00 Passat GLS 1.8T