Re: screwed up crank shaft pulley allen bolt...

At 09:08 AM 02/02/2000 -0800, Oliver Seiler wrote:

>Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I'm going to be starting with
>the less agressive options and escalate as required:
>
>- slightly larger (non-metric) hex bit hammered in
>- torx bit hammered in
>- heavy hammering
>- chisel and heavy hammering (oh my poor chisel!)
>- drilling

Good luck.  If you get to the point of drilling just go deep enough so you
can snap the heads off.   You then can remove the pulley, re soak with
WD-40 or whatever you are using and use vise grips to remove the remainder
of the bolts.  In the future, if you didn't know, tapping the heads of the
bolts with a hammer generally helps.  This is one reason I always use new
bolts on these pulleys.

John Worden
Wayne, Maine

'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4